Who is The Garden Maiden?
I’m a gardener by heart, a horticulturist by profession, with two green thumbs and a lot of bad luck in the garden. Garden Motto: “Do as I say, not as I do.”
I have gardened in Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Florida, Oklahoma and Mississippi.
Currently residing in AHS Plant Heat Zone 9 and USDA 2012 Plant Hardiness Zone 8b, on the edge of 9a.
- University of Arkansas Bachelor of Science in Landscape Design and Urban Horticulture (BSA)
- University of Arkansas Master of Science in Horticulture (MS)
- ASHS Certified Professional Horticulturist
- ISA Certified Arborist SO-7200A
- Garden Writer since 2006
- Member of ASHS, AHS, Garden Writer’s Association, Gamma Sigma Delta
- Completed the Landscape for Life trainer program spring 2013
- Undergraduate summer internship: Memphis Botanic Garden
- organic gardening
- sustainable landscapes
- native plants
- wildlife gardening
- beach ecosystems
- rain gardens
- heirloom plants
- saving seed
- traditional plant breeding
- cocktail gardening
- garden design for entertainment
A few casual details:
I am an organic gardener in nearly every way I possibly can be since the late 80’s.
I never have enough time in my own garden, which I often find more of an embarrassment or rather a scientific study in what can and will go wrong in the garden or landscape.
Pumpkins are my favorite crop and I have been growing them since I was a wee thing.
My feet are frequently dirty and calloused from romping barefoot outdoors.
I am into southern gardens, mystery, macabre, garden cocktails, and two of my favorite cities are New Orleans and Savannah. I garden around and with my miniature dachshunds.
I’m an Arkansas Razorback woooooo pig soooooieeeeee! Go Hawgs.
Any gardening I do is on a strict budget! I try to recycle, reduce and reuse wherever I can. I am not an engineer, nor do I have endless pots of money to purchase the latest and greatest gadgets, equipment and supplies for my garden. My garden will never win a prize, but I love it just the same.
All images and text copyright The Garden Maiden, 2021